The Benchmark Post



If you're trying to lose a few pounds for an event or for no reason at all, understand that FITNESS is a lifestyle.  Diet can be understood as a sum of ALL of the food an individual intakes.  Diet can also mean the restriction of certain foods.  I had to explain to my 11 year-old daughter what I meant when I said "my diet".  She asked me how long was I going to be on it.  In my house, I want the universal definition to be what we eat on a regular.  That's our diet.  I won't subject my daughter to any of that faddish stuff.  No cabbage diets.  No soup diets.  None of that.  Our diet is considered everything that we eat.  I can say that I have gotten better about cleaning up our diet since the beginning of this particular journey.  I used to drink a whole 6 pack of lager every evening, while I put meat on the grill.  This was long ago.  And we're not going to talk about the stuff I was putting on the grill, either!  It was all bad.  I wasn't eating breakfast, I would eat a big lunch and dinner and that was it.  I had to re-evaluate my diet when I got serious about dropping weight and remaining healthy for my daughter and myself.  Make no mistakes, I have been on the heavy side all of my life, and therefore my goal is not to be skinny or even look a certain way.  I decided to make changes to my lifestyle because I became more aware that my mortality depended on it!  We feel invincible as teens into our twenties.  I went through a divorce that shook me to my core and also brought about a lot of self awareness.  I realized that I was an emotional eater.  Not necessarily sweets, but really delicious, greasy, fatty, unhealthy, fried foods!  And plenty of alcohol.  Beer, lager, wine, vodka...you name it.  So, fast forward to today.  To this post.  To the reason for this post.  I wanted to mark my progress.  I should have done these measurements well before I started the boot camp, but better late than never, right? 

Mickey and I started the Beatbodyz boot camps in October 2017.  I believe we did the last two weeks, and 4 sessions.  Today is November 22nd and we paid $100 for 12 sessions in one month.  So far we have taken 8!  So we have 4 left.  I did these measurements last week, when I went to the gym.  Also, I did a 90 day challenge at the gym before I went on my cruise in September.  My team won.  I wish I would have been able to get my hands on my measurements from that, but I know I lost 1 inch, everywhere, and gained 3 pounds.  That was a bittersweet victory.  I have failed to mention that I had a baby in March 2016, at an age that put me in the category of having a "Geriatric Pregnancy".  That's a real thing.  Ladies, as we get older, it gets harder and harder to shed unwanted pounds.  In the first 12 months after my pregnancy, I lost about 10 to 20 pounds and then I remained stagnant.  I was about 320 when I delivered.  Maybe I lost more than 10 to 20 because now I'm under 300.  Slightly.  

So, we committed to doing 3 months.  Not sure how that will go since the schedule is crazy from one week to the next.  But we have a 5K coming up in February and a cruise in March.  Even if we don't do a full 3 months, we are still working on our tennis court drills.  The boot camp was just a way to "jump start" our bodies and such.  We both felt that we had plateaued after the babies.  And when that happens, it's hard not to get discouraged.  But I refused to settle for putting in work and not being able to see a change.  I noticed I got stronger, I had more endurance, but I wanted to get rid of all of my maternity clothes FOR GOOD!  I can honestly say after this month and a half with BB, I am FEELING so much better.  I am noticing a slight slack in my workout tights, and I am fitting into some workout clothes that I haven't worn, comfortably, since before I got pregnant.  And THAT is motivation enough for me!

Comments