Recipe: "THAT" Cabbage

Let me preface this recipe by saying my ex-husband taught it to me and I'm just passing along the information.  I get asked, frequently, for the recipe, so I thought it was time for me to jot it down.  Measurements are ALL approximate, use more or less according to your liking.  Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 head of cabbage, shredded
Half a yellow or white onion
1/3 a bag of matchstick carrots
a pat of butter OR canola oil
jalapeno (optional)
Seasoning (season salt, pepper, Tony Chachere's, All purpose seasoning, garlic salt, garlic pepper, poultry seasoning...etc)  I use Tony Chachere's and pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/3 cup ketchup (YES....KETCHUP!)
1/3 cup of water


First chop/shred cabbage, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno.





Set large skillet (with lid) on burner and turn on med to med/high heat (5-7 if you have numbers on the dial).  Add butter or canola oil to skillet and let heat up.  Slowly add onions, bell pepper, carrots, jalapenos, cabbage and seasoning to skillet, stir and cover.  Cabbage makes it own water.  Check back every 5 minutes until cooked to desired visual appeal, .

 Once everything in the skillet has cooked down or sauteed, remove lid and let cook some more.  Add 1/3 cup ketchup and 1/3 cup water and reduce heat, slightly (about 4 if you have numbers on the dial).  After about 10 minutes remove cabbage from heat and let sit.  Once the dish has cooled you can eat or store it!
 





Feel free to adjust the amount of any of the ingredients.  You can use more or less ketchup to your liking.  In my opinion the cabbage tastes better with the ketchup and that is the way it was taught to me, but you can definitely omit it and see if you like it.  I was told the reason behind adding the ketchup was for "color" but it makes a huge difference in taste, especially when you reheat to eat later. 

Comments